Many of these corporations do so as part of their corporate social responsibility programs but more so as to play a part in developing and retaining Malaysia's human capital. Some of these scholarships are bonded i.e. successful applicants would have to return to Malaysia to serve the corporations for a few years. Think of it as a guaranteed post-MBA employment; this is crucial especially in the current economic uncertainties.
Postgraduate studies do not come cheap especially if you plan to do them overseas. Our present exchange rates with the typical countries of postgraduate studies - the USA, UK and Australia do not favour Malaysian candidates. Furthermore, we do not have educational loans from local banks. Many would have to refinance their houses in order to pay for their studies. Any form of financial assistance is welcomed.
Here are the summary of the 3 corporations' scholarship programs. For more information, visit their respective website.
Maxis Scholarship for Excellence
Allowing the best and brightest graduate students to pursue courses in a selection of programmes at the world’s top universities, Maxis Scholarship For Excellence promises academic excellence and broader personal horizons.
Five successful applicants will be awarded a postgraduate scholarship at the world's most prestigious universities to pursue a course in:
- Life Sciences and Engineering
- Business and Management Studies
- Law and Government Studies
- The Performing Arts
- Aged 30 years or below
- Achieved a minimum of a 2nd Class Upper Honours (or equivalent) degree from a good university.
- Have a minimum of three years working experience
- Have a strong appreciation and appetite for current affairs (for example, a general knowledge of Malaysia’s constitutional and legal framework, economic levers, government initiatives and nation building philosophies).
- Demonstrate a continuing involvement in extra-curricular activities (team or individual sports; voluntary service; affiliation with a recognized association or society) as well as special achievements in academics, social work or similar contributions.
- Possess the traits of an ambassador for Malaysia, with a sense of loyalty and identification for the country. There should also be evidence of a clear sense of purpose and goals in life, as well as a display of visionary capabilities.
Yayasan Sime Darby Scholarship Programme
This annual scholarship programme applies to high flying, well-rounded candidates who wish to pursue full-time studies locally and overseas. (more)
Yayasan Khazanah Scholarship Programme
Yayasan Khazanah is a foundation established by Khazanah Nasional Berhad – the investment holding arm of the Government of Malaysia.
We are entrusted to select, support, groom and nurture exceptional individuals who will eventually take on high-level positions in the best organisations including the Government-Linked Companies (GLCs) in Malaysia.
This mission is in line with Khazanah Nasional’s commitment to the active development of human capital to ensure that Malaysia continues to improve its competitiveness on the global stage.
As a start, we groom talents and help them build their capabilities by offering scholarships to pursue studies at Malaysia’s premier universities or at the world’s renowned institutions of higher learning.
Malaysian citizens may choose to apply from one of the three scholarship programmes below: -
- Khazanah Global Scholarship Programme
- Khazanah-Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies (OCIS) Merdeka Scholarship Programme
- Khazanah Watan Scholarship Programme (more)
I hope more Malaysian corporations will step forward and offer bright and talented Malaysians an opportunity to pursue their postgraduate studies and serve the country.